"Excitement around every corner
- a true gardeners delight" C.Sanders, Hampshire
Polgwidden Cove is south-facing and tidal, and is the perfect halfway point to rest and enjoy the view. A small, narrow passageway of steps takes you over the South West Coast Path and onto the private beach. The view opens up a wonderful maritime scene of small sailing boats moored in the waters, a shingle beach and rock pools. A perfect place to skim stones.
In 1944, the beach was used as an embarkation point for a regiment of 7,500 of the 29th US Infantry Division for the assault landing on Omaha beach, part of the D -Day Landings.
At the end of the war there was a succession of changes of ownership. The Martin family cleared the moor at the bottom and introduced the massed planting of Hydrangeas.
The Boathouse Cafe is situated on the beach. It was originally built by the racing driver and designer of Healey cars, Donald Healey, to store his boats when he lived at Trebah betwen 1961 and 1971. Donald Healey was also responsible for removing the infrastructure and concrete installed during WW2 and undertaking improvements to the lower lakes.
The Boathouse serves fresh coffee, a range of teas, snacks and the famous Roskilly's Cornish ice cream. It is open from March to October, subject to weather conditions.
Buckets and spades can be borrowed from the Boathouse during opening times
Dogs are welcome on the beach, but must be under supervision and on a lead at all times please.